Saturday 14 August 2010

San Jose, Costa Rica

So finally after my eery retreat to Playa Las Lajas, I went back to Costa Rica to catch my looming flight to San Jose with my new little brothers Pip and Jason (I say "little" but they are actually 22 and 21 respectively.) Here we checked in to a ridiculously luxurious hostel complete with aircon, free internet and even a swimming pool. Upon witnessing my surprise, my travel buddies informed me that this was the norm in Costa Rica. I get the feeling that backpacking around Costa Rica is a totally different vibe from roughing it in Mexico and the rest of Central America... In  fact, the range of accommodation I have experienced on my trip is extreme. From sleeping in a hammock alone on a beach with nothing but the moon and mosquitoes for company and not able to see my reflection in a mirror for over a week near the beginning of my trip... to being in a white-washed dorm with attached, marble-floored en-suite complete with eighteen-year-old gap yah kids from Bath straightening their hair and applying body shimmer by the end of it. Confusing mindfuck to say the least. My last day in San Jose I felt something of an outsider. Surprisingly, despite being a "city girl", I can say without hesitation that my most natural environment is definitely the outdoors. Forest not fashion. Conversation not cover-up.

In San Jose I spent the day wandering the colourful (but essentially touristy) markets picking up last minute presents for my friends and family before catching my flight back to London. I explored the city by foot, taking in the American influence of the commercial businesses, the discerning metal bars and gates at all shop fronts and windows, the barbed wire lining homes and residences... People describe San Jose as a "necessary evil" before exploring the rest of Costa Rica however, I only saw it in a couple of days which is not nearly long enough to make any kind of judgement of a large city. However the fences and barriers, open prostitution and racist slurs of the graffiti, all screamed of a paranoid city.

In my travels I was unable to see much of Costa Rica due to time constraints, but mainly due to lack of money! It is an expensive country to travel, with prices akin to the US. However I am very aware from my friends' encounters with the country that there is so much - mainly nature-based experiences - that I missed out on. I hope to return one day with a bit more cash to exploit all the wonders that Pura Vida has to offer.

My last day travelling was lovely. When travelling you say hi and goodbye to new friends on average, every 3days. I found that 70% of these people were absolute pleasures to meet and the kind who if they were London-based, the friendship could be nurtured for many years. My last day in Costa Rica I had to say goodbye to Jason and Pip who I had spent my last ten days with. American Jason - a very bright, funny, warm, charming, charismatic guy whom I felt extremely comfortable with from my first moments with him to my last. He lives up to American "jock" stereotypes and yet crushes them at once - amazing! And Pip, a sweet, also very bright, positive, open-minded, reflective, friendly joker from Holland. Their company was heart-warming and we meshed unbelievably well together. It was very sad as not only was I saying goodbye to these two wonderful people whom I may never see again but in that moment, I was saying goodbye to all the amazing people who I had met on my trip. As I was leaving my travel bubble. Once I stepped on my plane, noone would be able to relate to me like the people I met travelling. I would most likely never see these people - who really did touch my life  - again. I would have to pick myself up off THAT wavelength and ride another, more realistic one.

Pip, Jason and I

No comments:

Post a Comment