Friday 6 August 2010

Playa del Coco, Costa Rica

From Ometepe, Nicaragua Julio and myself scooted flashy-fast to Costa Rica for some pura vida! Our last few days chilling together (possibly forever) so we figured blissed-out, chilled-out Costa Rica would be an apt place to spend these delicate moments. Here we landed on the north western pacific coast, a beach called Playa del Coco of which we had heard great things. A touristy but popular-for-a-reason spot I was informed. But if I am being honest I was informed non too wisely? Playa del Coco was uninspirational.

It was extremely evident that we were in Costa Rica for how similar to America everything was. Signs in English, English-speaking locals, foreigners everywhere, Western cuisine, expensive everything, tourist traps... I'm not racist but there were too many pink shrimp. The beach itself too, was not so impressive. Had I been a surfer I'm sure I would have appreciated it more due to the high waves; enjoyed watching the body boarders and suchlike. Also, my impression of Coco was no doubt slightly tarnished due to the heavy rain that welcomed us off the bus and teased us on and off like a tart for our days there.
Pura vida

Fortunately we took it upon ourselves to explore the area further and hiked 13miles away to a tiny, virgin beach called Ocotal. This was far more beautiful, pristine and empty and conformed to my standards of tranquil nature vibes... that is, despite the waves brutally lashing us about. We had the beach to ourselves and unlike Playa del Coco, Ocotal easily did Costa Rica proud for our first impression!

No comments:

Post a Comment